Posts Tagged taaaaaags
Welp, here we are. Species 0.6.1 can now be downloaded from the speciesgame.com download page.
This release was all about cleaning up the back-end code for future features and making visual improvements.
Be warned, this release is likely to be amusingly buggy for a week or three. Whether or not that’s a good thing depends on how much you enjoy watching me scramble about like a lemur on fire trying to keep up with the necessary hotfixes. And let’s face it, of course you do, that’s hilarious. You bastards.
- several fatal crashes have been fixed (‘System.OutOfMemoryException’, ‘CladeDiagram.CollideBranches’, ‘UIManager.Paused_Export_Update’),
- the method for addressing problems when the game is minimised or graphics card is lost has been improved,
- built-in troubleshooting for some start-up problems (running from the zip file, running from Program Files, running on computer with unsupported graphics card) has been added
- Procedural texturing: creatures now have different top, side and underbelly textures, giving them a more distinct appearance and more recognisable body covers.
- Custom textures: beaks, claws, teeth and mouths now have their own (appropriately horrifying) textures, blended into the triplanar texturing.
- Fur: Fuzzy wuzzy was a bear, fuzzy wuzzy had no hair, but the creature’s in Species do now. And they find bear meat tasty.
- Water reflections: They only reflect the skybox, but they significantly improve the appearance of the game nonetheless.
- A new Species ALRE logo. Now with infinity% more cladeogram and cycad leaf.
- Adjusted Tree Shaders make better use of dark greys and oranges, meaning trees have more colour variety and look more natural.
- An improved wasteland texture.
- Fixed that weird blue shading on trees when you pause the game (it still happens on grass).
- Body coverings: fur, feathers, scales and skins. Also squid skin, toad warts, echidna spines and human forearms (ewwww…).
- Leg shapes: from 6 in 0.6.0 to 20, meaning a much greater variety of knee shapes.
- Heads: a number of additions (and of course, the existing heads had to be adjusted to provide beak and mouth textures and fur polygons).
- A selection of the Body Part Voting Competition head types.
- Added an "Indirect" rover drive mode to the game options. Seriously, try it out. It's hilariously broken.
Cloud0.6.1 abiogenesis admin anti-evolutionism Artifical Intelligence Biology Biomes blitz3D BPVCT bugs Creationism denialism Design Design Documentation Development dwarf fortress Evidence Evolution fences First forces forums free game Future Development game game design Game Development gameplay Game Release games gaming history indie game in game science Inspiration liars lies Life Misinformation modding Mutation my lousy work ethic personal Philosophical physics Primordial life probably drunk programming pseudoscience Release Release Date rovers science Science communication screenshots self-tone-trolling Simulation Simulator Species Species 0.5.0 Species ALRE tangential learning Technical technical troubles temporally displaced self-hatred Terrain The Saga torques tutorial UI Video video game videogames XNA Young Earth Creationism
The Dev Guy: Quasar
Qu is a slightly maladjusted programmer who simulates emotional responses and self-deprecating humour in an attempt to sabotage puny human society from within.
It's not working very well.