Go forth my abominations! Deorbit and seize this world from it’s puny inhabitants!
And while they’re having fun, everyone else can download Species 0.8.0 over here on the download page!
Here’s the changelog! The following is by no means exhaustive, but it should give you a good idea of the main things.
• Behavior-tree AI. The big one.
• Emotions. Hunger, fatigue, anger, fear, discomfort (temperature) and amorousness are represented, each with a course of action creatures can take to address them.
• Personality. With mutable genes affecting how easily each emotion increases, as well as slightly more complex traits like empathy and motivation affecting their food seeking behavior.
• Rationality. Creatures will (attempt to) logically determine the best method to find food, based on their personality, diet and circumstance. They may choose to graze, browse, hunt or
• Perception. Creature's can now see, hear and smell with the appropriate sense organs (though smell's a freebie).
• Sleep. The "Energy" bar is now strictly for pre-digested food. All energy losses now come out of health, and a creature can sleep to restore health from energy.
• Pregnancy. Creatures will now carry a child for a short period of time before spawning it, during which they will experience rapid health loss (as the energy is transferred to the fetus).
• Double the number of music tracks. Special thanks to Brain Sugar, who bowed out of the project some time back, but left us with a few awesome extra tracks to use.
• Separate Run/Walk speed Although it's not hugely noticeable at this stage, they run when hunting or fleeing other creatures.
• Weather particles. Ice, smoke, splashes and delicious firey burningness.
• Sea Ice. Strong enough to walk/drive on at that.
• Creatures explode when they die. Most. Important. Feature.
• Cliffs. They're cliffs. I got nothing.
• World Settings editable in-game. About time!
• Random Generation World Seed. Seed 58 is a pretty cool 2-island map. Try combining it with a longitudinal temperature map for a cold island and a hot one!
• Stability improvements. Lots of bug fixes and tweaks.
• Long term simulation tweaks. The simulation's fidelity as a whole is looking a lot better. Significantly fewer exploits and broken survival strategies mean a far more interesting world.